FP2: Kobayashi fastest for Toyota; JOTA lead LMP2
Kamui Kobayashi continued to ensure Toyota Gazoo Racing led the way in the second free practice session ahead of the first round of the 2023 FIA World Endurance Championship at Sebring Raceway.
Toyota took 1-2 in a twice red-flagged 60-minute session in warmer conditions than this morning’s opening session.
Reigning LMP2 champions Hertz Team JOTA paced LMP2 with Pietro Fittipaldi setting the best time, while in LMGTE Am Ferrari took over from Porsche at the top as Kessel Racing’s Daniel Serra set the fastest lap time.
Free Practice 2 Both @TGR_WEC's on top in the afternoon.
Read the full report on https://t.co/PGCJzsDCLH#WEC #1000MSebring pic.twitter.com/SCeRDfc98X
— FIA World Endurance Championship (@FIAWEC) March 15, 2023
Below are the headlines from FP2.
- Kamui Kobayashi tops free practice two times in No.7 Toyota Gazoo Racing GR010 Hybrid Hypercar meaning Toyota lead both sessions on Wednesday at Sebring
- Kobayashi peaks with a 1m46.954s lap, 0.318s ahead of No.8 Toyota
- A 1m47.272s from Brendon Hartley sees Toyota seal a 1-2 in a twice red flagged session.
- Antonio Fuoco sets a late session time of 1m48.121s to grab third place in the new No.50 Ferrari AF Corse 499 Hypercar
- Cadillac Racing end session fourth as Richard Westbrook laps in a 1m48.265 best in the new Cadillac V-Series R Hypercar
- Westbrook is involved in an altercation with the No.88 Proton Porsche 911 RSR 19 driven by Ryan Hardwick which brings out first of the two red flags
- The No.51 Ferrari AF Corse takes fifth as Alessandro Pier Guidi posts a 1m48.606s the times for the Prancing Horse
- A 1m49.700s best from Olivier Pla sess. Glickenhaus move up the order and place sixth.
- No.5 Porsche Penske places seventh as a 1m49.782s lap from Frederic Makowiecki
- Peugeot TotalEnergies classified eighth and ninth in Hypercar as tea continue to explore Sebring track on first ever visit. The No94 heads the No.93 9X8 Hypercar.
- Andre Lotterer places the No.6 Porsche in 10th on his return to the WEC paddock.
- Floyd Vanwall complete the Hypercar entries as Jacques Villeneuve continues his re-acquaintance of endurance racing after a 15 year break from topline sportscars. Tom Dillmann sets the fastest time.
- Pietro Fittipaldi takes Hertz Team JOTA to the top of the LMP2 category with a best lap of 1m50.326s
- The Brazilian’ best is 0.3s clear of the No.22 United Autosports Oreca-Gibson
- Phil Hanson sets the time which proves to be just 0.007 ahead of the sister United car driven by Oliver Jarvis
- The No.48 Hertz Team JOTA car is fourth as Yifei Ye posts a 1m50.827s lap.
Lots learned from FP2
Focus moves onto FP3 and Qualifying tomorrow!#1000MSebring pic.twitter.com/IeAfN8bYeB
— Jota Sport (@JotaSport) March 15, 2023
- Daniel Serra ensures that Kessel Racing is top of the pile in LMGTE Am as Ferrari fight back and overhaul Porsche.
- However, teammate Takashi Kimura causes second red flag with spin and stall on track.
- The former Aston Martin and Ferrari factory ace laps in 1m58.845s to head the No.33 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R driven by Nicky Catsburg
- The D’Station Aston Martin makes it three manufacturers in the top three as Casper Stevenson sets best time on his WEC debut
The third free practice session of the day takes place at on 11h55 local time on Thursday morning (16 March).
Find full results HERE.
Follow the latest track action on the official WEC app.