Sebring 6H: Report: No 7 Toyota Leads; JOTA on top in LMP2; Corvette Racing lead in LMGTE Am
Below are the main headlines from 1000 Miles of Sebring with just two hours of the race remaining.
Hypercar: Leader – Jose-Maria Lopez
- Toyota Gazoo Racing's pair of Toyota GR010 Hybrid Hypercars run in close proximity throughout the mid-race period as Jose-Maria Lopez and Brendon Hartley/Ryo Hirakawa enjoy two lap advantage over the opposition.
- Cadillac Racing gain positions to run third as Richard Westbrook gets first stints at the wheel in the all-new Cadillac V-Series.R
- No.50 Ferrari AF Corse also spends time in third as new Hypercars run on out of sequence on fuel strategies. Goal at six-hour mark Antonio Fuoco runs in fourth place.
- No.51 Ferrari AF Corse 499P runs close to sister car but drops behind No.6 Porsche to sixth place in Hypercar.
- But a wild spin after contact with the No.54 AF Corse Ferrari LMGTE Am car sees Pier Guidi pitched in to the Project 1-AO Porsche 911 RSR 19 forcing the 499P to the pits with a puncture and bodywork damage. Incident brings sixth Full Course Yellow of the race just before the sixth hour arrives.
- Laurens Vanthoor ensures that Porsche Penske places fifth but sister Porsche 963 Hypercar drops away to seventh after Frederic Makowiecki commits Full Course Yellow speeding offense that results in drive through penalty.
- Floyd Vanwall continues in eighth position as 1997 F1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve gets first stints at wheel of normally aspirated Hypercar.
- Peugeot TotalEnergies continues to run at tail of Hypercar field after earlier technical issues. No.93 9X8 is ninth and No.94 is 10 th as Lions continue to accrue additional mileage.
LMP2: Leader – Will Stevens
- Hertz Team JOTA continues to lead in LMP2 with its No.48 Oreca-Gibson as Yifei Ye stretches lead in sixth hour aboard the newly liveried gold machine.
- The Chinese ace enjoys 55-second gap over the No.41 Team WRT car with Louis Deletraz at the wheel before handing over to Will Stevens.
- The No.63 Prema car, driven by Daniil Kvyat, runs third after Doriane Pin and Mirko Bortolotti had previously got the Italian entered car in to contention.
- Epic battles develop for fourth position between Robin Frijns in No.31 Team WRT, Phil Hanson in No.22 United Autosports car and Fabio Scherer in Inter Europol Competition Oreca-Gibson.
- Scherer puts move on Hanson to snatch fifth before homing in on Frijns but is unable to make a move stick. Hanson then fights back in one of the battles of the race so far. Hanson eventually re-takes position at Turn 17.
- Pin impresses after a strong triple stint and hands car over to Mirko Bortolotti
- She heads the second United Autosports car driven by WEC debutant Frederick Lubin before the final stops in the first half of the race.
- At that point the No.48 Jota car with David Beckmann at the wheel takes over in the lead but has completed one fewer stop than opponents
- No.35 Alpine ELF entry endures a difficult mid-period of the race as Oli Caldwell stops on track twice and also has to take penalty for pit-lane speeding. This drops the car to the rear of the field.
LMGTE Am: Leader – Nicky Catsburg
- No.33 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C8.R with Nicolas Varrone completing three hours at the wheel continues to control LMGTE Am
- Varrone hands over to teammate Nicky Catsburg as the sixth hour arrives and returns to the track with lead intact.
- Leading the chase of the Corvette is the No.86 GR Racing Porsche 911 RSR as Ben Barker starts to eat in to the lead.
- Michael Wainwright and Riccardo Pera had earlier enabled the British run car to break in to the top three. Wainwright gets back in to the Porsche just before the penultimate hour arrives
- Daniel Serra had pushed the Kessel Racing Ferrari 488 GTE Evo in to second place but the Swiss team cycles back down to fourth in last pt stops.
- No.21 AF Corse Ferrari runs third as Simon Mann recovers from early spin to hold strong position as race enters its last two hours.
- No.77 Dempsey Proton Porsche 911 RSR also in hunt for podium as Julien Andlauer takes to the cockpit for the second time in the race.
Find full results HERE
Follow the latest track action on the official WEC APP